Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Daniel Fast: Day One

My small group recently studied the book of Daniel. While I knew the inevitable chapter would come, discussing Daniel fasting for 21 days, and the breakthrough that happened during that time, I suppose I hoped my class wouldn't get the idea to start a Daniel Fast! I've never been very good at curbing my intake of Diet Coke and cupcakes for one day, let alone 21!! While I have done these fasts in the past, it was always in conjunction with another group of people, I was not the one suggesting it! As I prepared for the lesson, however, I became overwhelmingly convicted, not only at my lack of enthusiasm at the thought of fasting, but at the potential of me not offering the opportunity for the people in my small group to see a breakthrough in their own lives.

It was at this point I decided I would do the fast, whether I was joined by my class or not. Fasting is a discipline that has its roots deep within scripture and Christian practice, but let's be honest it isn't nearly as fun as going to a conference and eating out every night. Fasting is, however, an incredible way to get to the heart of God. Nothing shows the hunger of creation more than going without something that nourishes it for the sake of getting closer to the Creator.

The story of Daniel 10 goes something like this, Daniel has seen a terrible vision. Generally he is able to see the interpretation, but this particular time it does not come. How many of us have experienced similar things in our own lives? We get a bad report from work, or the doctor, or a relationship isn't going the way we believe it should. In the dilemma that is life, how do we react to the unthinkable? Do we talk it out with others, we become infatuated with the problem and allow stress to rule our lives, we engage in behaviors that hurt ourselves and those around us? Or, like Daniel, do we immediately devote ourselves to the business of prayer and fasting? I'd hate to be really truthful with the answer to that question....

Daniel fasted for 21 days, and then the answer came. What makes the story so much more intriguing is the fact that the Angel Messenger said he was opposed for 21 days by the Prince of Persia. Scholars contend this was an evil spirit...which raises the question, "What would have happened if Daniel had quit praying after 19 days? 20 days?"

I have some things in my life I need the Lord to show up and show Himself strong in. There are some circumstances surrounding my Life that could never be changed without the power of God in my life. I am believing God for great things in the next three weeks, I'm glad you are on this journey with me.

The Daniel Fast is based off of the fast that Daniel did in Daniel 1-2, and Daniel 10. In addition, because little was said about these fasts, some Jewish fasting laws have been added to give more direction and structure. The basic rules are: No meats, no dairy, no sugar, no processed foods, no gluten, and drink only water. Some have modified the water restriction to include some caffeinated beverages, but that is the jist. I promised to blog what I was eating for those in my class, so here are the first two days so far...so you know I'm not cheating!


Today: Oatmeal with Strawberry and Almond Milk
Salad with Lemon squeezed on it as dressing
Soynuts as a snack, a handful of nuts as a snack
Whole Wheat tortilla with brown rice, homemade guacamole, and homemade salsa
And Aqua Hydrate 9 Water instead of my beloved Diet Coke



Day One:
Oatmeal for breakfast
Hummus with homemade unleavened bread and nuts as a snack
Juice consisting of: parsley, beet, kale, celery, carrots, apple, and orange
Vegetable soup for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment