Sunday, February 20, 2011

Grey's Anatomy

Thursday night was the season finale of Grey's Anatomy, one of the few shows I have watched since it's debut and the show which has the greatest tug at reality in my life. I remember still the day I watched the first episode, attempting to convince myself that I was just like Merideth every week just so I could end up with McDreamy. It was only after the episode where Christina shows Burke her apartment that my entire family phoned me, hysterically laughing that Bre Little had taken Asian form in Dr. Cristina Yang.

Needless to say, the show has seen me through some hard times. I remember a particularly horrible breakup during season three, and the anguish I felt when I didn't think Merideth would survive the ferry explosion. I even started a facebook group to "Save Merideth" which gained a couple thousand members. All for what? A television show you say? or is our connection to media becoming more of a mirror of the rest of our lives than we would like to let on?

I like to use television as an escape from my daily life. An hour each week to realize your inability to find Mr. Right cannot be half as agonizing as the aortic dissection Christina is soloing. Still, watching the finale, literally feeling physical pain as Derek falls down from a bullet to the chest, I couldn't help but wonder, does TV help us mature?

As a young, bright-eyed college student, I had little desire for commitment, relationship, much less ever considering the idea of having children. I was perfecly happy to be at the top of my class, intimidate men, drive a fast car, and have the best labels. I thought "making it" would be becoming a partner in a major law firm or getting a break on Broadway. I think I held a lot of the same ambition in my eye a Christina and Meredith did when they first walked the skywalk of Seatle Grace Hospital. They were driven, they wanted success, they would take no prisoners.

Now, six years later I'm watching these strong-willed, powerful surgeons fighting just as hard for love and family as status and promotion. Where did the paradigm shift? And did I ever notice the shift in me? My eyes are opened much wider to the idea of marriage, monogomy, and commitment. I even have brief moments of not despising the idea of having children (that issue is still a long way from becoming a "desire") But at some point Meredith, Cristina, and Bre grew up.

So, to the person who shuns my love for certain medical dramas, answer me this. What does one hour a week hurt if it enables people to see the pitfalls of life that you might can avoid? What does it matter if we cry when they cry if it teaches important lessons that might fight off loneliness in reality?

I'm not saying we should spend all of our time watching television, maybe I am justifying my obsession, but for now...

I'm glad McDreamy is safe. I am glad Christina fought for love for her best friend. I am happy that Meredith saved Owen. and in the end, I'm glad Owen chose a happy ending for Christina. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment